Dec 30, 2023

A MUSICAL EXTRAVAGANZA TO THRILL




 


Post-Christmas, after the excitement and anticipation of festivities had faded, our family shared their goodbye hugs and greetings as we waved them off.

We settled back into the normality of the life my young man and I share with Lily, the cat who wishes to be mine. Surrounded with work to do, just what hundreds of families have to face after big family events.

We sat relaxing, drinking the restorative cup of tea, so necessary when reviewing the feelings the visit has stirred up. So many memories to tuck away and revive on other festive occasions.

The next day: bed washing, towel changing, and reviving, leaving the rooms all shipshape, ready for the next visitors, keeping the washing machine and dryer in constant action.

Reorganising everywhere: leftover food to be recycled, fridges and freezer to be cleaned and tidied; lists of things we have run out of and need to reorder for daily living; helping Lily to find her way hesitantly back into her favourite quiet places.

Thankfully, there is no rush for some of these tasks; they can be spread over a couple of days.

On Friday, a hospital visit was fitted in early and, on our return, I fell asleep, awaking mid-afternoon for a snack and a cup of tea.

It was then that a musical extravaganza appeared at the turn of a switch on the television. It was all-encompassing, mesmerisingly beautiful.

It was a production by Sky Arts of Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall. I think it was in honour of Andrew Lloyd Webber. The minute the first wonderful notes, sung by amazingly trained singers, hit my ears, I was captivated.

The music beloved by millions, including me, carried me away, triggering my singing along with the wonderful lyrics, albeit much more quietly. The vocalists were superb, and the orchestra and chorus assisted their fantastic performances. 

My husband and I sat totally immersed in the music and the story until the intermission.

The orchestra started the music for the return to the story, except it was different: what now? Suddenly, Sarah Brightman appeared alone, singing the theme tune from the opera, and then four men in black suits joined her. They carried on singing singly and then together. I clapped my hands in delight, as I recognised the singers who had played the Phantom over the years. The audience gave each one the applause they so rightly deserved.

I said to my husband, “There’s one missing. I don’t see Michael Crawford.” Hardly had I spoken than Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cameron Mackenzie appeared to join everyone on the stage as they sang the last few lines as a group. Then, Michael Crawford appeared and was given the last word to sing, drawing the whole performance to an end. There were standing ovations, and applause so well deserved rang out. 

Music has the power to take you to any place you would like to go and bring you safely back again.



2023 © Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen

Photo: Pixabay License

No comments:

Post a Comment