Aug 4, 2023

NO ONE IS KNOCKING AT MY DOOR




 


No one is knocking at my door; not now for sure, since my health stopped my going out anymore. 

One knock from the postman whom I know, who gives a cheery smile and a quick “How are you doing?” The reply is mostly, “Fine,” as he has no time, though willing to hear a story of mine. 

I have to buy what I want online nowadays. They seem to arrive mostly on time, with drivers thrusting a gadget at me for a quick sign on the line, before jumping in their vans and speeding out of sight down the lane. If the order is incorrect, I have to have a conversation with an unknown voice, explaining the things delivered was not my choice. Sometimes it is easy, others it is not, to return the offending article to the depot. 

An unexpected knock gives my heart a bit of a thump. 

Till, parting the curtains to look out the window, I see the three-in-one electricity, gas and water meter man, as he grovels through the understairs cupboard dividing the coats, Hoover, and umbrellas to reach the meters and a good view to do what he has to do.

Now we know one another, as I am always in, we exchange a word or two. 

Even when I am poorly, no doctor comes to call; it’s all done through the internet-linked phone. I have to listen to instructions, now oh so familiar, which at that moment I do not need to use at all. To be told by a measured voice I am now number seventeen in the queue. I wait, worrying if I will still remember what symptoms I am calling about by the time, I am that oh-so-important number one in the line. 

Oh, there are the leaflets that clatter through the letterbox, without a word being said. 

Once night falls, I bolt my door, barring all. I won’t open it to anyone that might call. As I make my way to my solitary bed and snuggly tuck myself in. 

You see, there was hardly any comforting knocking at my front door. 

Till I joined my local Voluntary Care Service Scheme; their knock is oh so welcome now. 

If you are a driver with a car and want something to do, something that brings conversation, joy and laughter to others, as well as you, Please ring 0208-397-6298. 

Then it might be you knocking at my door to take me out; I can’t wait. 



2023 © Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen

Photo: Pixabay License

No comments:

Post a Comment