
I walked my way to happiness.
It was painful, it is true.
Each step brought back a tender memory of you.
I have to confess, I had let things go; I was not at my best.
Keeping myself to myself, staying in bed longer each day.
Dragging myself up for a drink, to watch the TV display.
Till one day, an invitation to take a walk in a beautiful nearby place burst from the screen.
It was a favourite of ours; you would remember it well.
Somehow I found the strength, I know not from where.
To wash, dress, and activate myself, to join the walk.
I hovered at the edge of a small group, till beckoned in.
We each walked at a slow, steady pace, in dribs and drabs.
Quiet murmurs exchanged when comfortable; an hour was spent walking, taking in the view.
Exercising muscles, shaky at best, a halt was called for, a hot brew and a crunchy biscuit.
Exchanging information and invitations of other walks to join if I wanted too.
I remembered times you walked with me, talking, loving, trying to put the world to rights.
We were called to order to walk our way back.
I took a deep breath, a last look around, at the sky and the ground, before following the group.
I felt tired but different, hard to explain, determined to go at least once again.
Now I am a new man, qualified to take groups of adults and children at weekends and holiday times, on happiness walks.
Walks saved me, and new ones top up my happiness feelings from time to time.
©️2026 Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen
Photo by StockCake
No comments:
Post a Comment