Aug 16, 2026

​AN ACT OF KINDNESS



On approaching the bus stop yesterday, in brilliant sunshine, there was a lovely young lady already sitting there. I said, “Hello, has the bus gone yet?”

“Not yet,” she replied smiling, “but I am not waiting for a bus. I am just waiting to go to a care home for an interview. I used to be a midwife in my own country. I cannot afford to update here to receive an English qualification; it is so expensive. So I thought I would work as a carer, before training as a general nurse.”

I felt quite sad as we are so short of midwives, as I am sure her country is as well.

Suddenly she asked if I had a tissue. I said, “Yes.”

Then she said, “Not for me, but you have some lipstick on your tooth.”

I thanked her for kindly pointing it out. What a lovely young woman, I wished her well as she made her way to her appointment.


It started me thinking of some other instances of possible embarrassment in public.


Walking around with a shop label still attached to new clothes.


Ladies, skirts caught up in underwear when leaving a public toilet.


Gentlemen not buttoning up after using a toilet facility.


Missed-matched socks or shoes put on in the dark.

Going out without false teeth or eye in situ.


At a lovely wedding, the groom while kneeling declared to all the price of his shoes stuck on his soles. It caused a bit of merriment for a while after.


I am sure you could add many more to this list.

I hope that more of us would have the courage to quietly inform the victim of such an incident. 


I was glad my young lady told me. I wonder if her interview was successful.  I do hope it was.


©️2026 Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen

No comments:

Post a Comment