Apr 30, 2024

DON’T BE ALARMED




 


Making my way into The Rose Theatre in Kingston for a quiet cup of coffee, I sat at a table marked as part of the Chatty Café Scheme. 

It aroused my curiosity, so I glanced at a notice declaring I was at a Chatter and Natter table. 

Intrigued, I read on: anyone can sit here, either on their own or with a carer or a cared for person, or family members with babies. 

They even gave one-liners of questions you could use to open a conversation if you were shy or felt embarrassed to talk to strangers. 

Great idea!

Suddenly, information was relayed via the tannoy that there would be a fire drill for voluntary staff members; clients in the café could remain where they were. 

All the volunteer staff who worked at the theatre from time to time had been asked to attend this important event.

The first fire alarm rang out and staff members were supposed to be exiting by the nearest exit, or as directed by a member of staff. Some made up their own interpretation, causing heavy usage at some exits. 

Everyone went into the auditorium again for more instructions, which I was not privy to. I am sure the supervisors were able to correct any misunderstandings after the first fire alarm.

During the next alarm session, a mass of mums and babies poured into the café. Some settled at tables to chat and feed their babies. 

Others moved to parked up prams and buggies and strapped their babies in safely, before leaving the building and off about their business. 

I have never before seen so many beautiful, well-behaved babies in one place. Again, I was curious and, at the first opportunity, I spoke to one of the lovely mums.

They were groups of pregnant women who had met while having their babies over some time in Kingston Hospital. They had been invited to join the sessions where they could share helpful and supportive information about the care of their growing babies. 

The companionship and peer support, I was told by the mum I spoke to, were invaluable. She also went on to say they kept in touch on the internet, breaking the loneliness and anxiety of being a mum.

I thought it was a brilliant idea, and went from being alarmed to being charmed, as the fire alarm again shrieked its urgent warning and the practice continued.



2024 © Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen

No comments:

Post a Comment