Dec 18, 2023

SILENT CHANGE




 


Today, I awoke to a dull silence, crept my way to the window and drew back the curtain, to view snow slowly falling, blanketing the surroundings, as far as I could see in the dwindling darkness.

Its whiteness beautifies everything we normally view. Seen from the warmth indoors, I could view this magical moment, remembering snowfalls of old.

These flakes, large and a bit heavy, though settling on the garden furniture, did not have the look of permanence, but that could change. The forecasts were right with their warnings: Prepare for snow overnight or in the morning.

Birds starting their dawn chorus, their information-gathering discussions. I wonder what they include in their chatter? 

Where there might be edible food and vital unfrozen water, and maybe how to ease and warm frozen feet?

A flight of crows flew low, noisily, overhead and, higher above the falling snow.

A plane circled unseen. heading for a landing on instruments, as the ground below is hard to see. Engine noise faded into the distance; The silence was restored.

I moved my attention back indoors, as my young man appeared smiling, “What a winter wonderland!” was his remark.

I shall just keep looking and writing about the stories snow often brings.



© 2023 Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen

No comments:

Post a Comment