Jul 6, 2023

GRASSHOPPERS




 


GRASSHOPPERS


On our return to New Zealand, we asked if the large grasshoppers had returned.

No one had seen any yet! Good, perhaps they won't bother us this year. I spoke too soon, as within three days they started.

The first two slipped in while we had visitors and someone had left the door open.

I trapped them in a glass jar. After explaining my lack of grasshopper hospitality, I threw them into the bushes further away, before rushing in and closing the door.

Another day passed, I looked out the door through the glass, where they were lining up like aircraft. Waiting to take off at the airport. Only this time it was to hop into our home, at the first opportunity.

They are cunning and hid in the space around the door frame. I have no idea what they are doing, they seem to have a homing instinct, like salmon do, to breed in the place they were born. 

Maybe that is the answer. Who knows!

A few days later they were back, so we do not use the front door without looking out very carefully first.



© 2023 Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen

Photo: Pixabay License

No comments:

Post a Comment