Apr 19, 2022

THE TIES OF FRIENDSHIP




 


I awoke with a feeling, that things were not going to go quite right today. There was no need to feel that way, as going to bed held no trouble at all. This was no time to linger, just time to get up and dress to prepare for what lay ahead. The house awoke in good order, yet this feeling I could not shake. 

Suddenly began feelings linked to a conversation from the day before When I was challenged about the value and quality of my friendships. Should friends be perfect or flawed, should we build intolerance to stay friends at all. 

A friend asked me once “Do you have any normal friends?” It shocked me. As my friends are my friends, if cruelty or lack of kindness crept in a review would be needed for sure. If severe enough they would be politely shown the door. 

I looked up and said “If you are an example, take a look in the mirror because your life is not normal for sure. Yet you are one of my best and most valued friends, warts and all.” 

A moment of stunned silence, as the words swung between us. With a twitch of the lips, grins, giggles and laughter expanded before she said, “you have made a good point there. 

In parts, I am a bit of a mess and thinking about it some of my other friends are too. Yet we share the bad and good we muddle along and still our friendships hold true.” 

I said, “If our friendships were all perfect, how boring, as there would be very little to say or do. The strength of friendship is shown in troubled and complicated times when we help one another through. It is also there to join in and celebrate the joyous times because that is what good friends do.” 

Time and distance do not break the ties, even in death, we remain true. Retaining the memories of the wonderful times we shared, telling others of them too. 

I will always be glad for the friendship we shared through thick and thin, where perfection or normality never crept in. 



© Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen 

Photo: Pixabay License

No comments:

Post a Comment