A word to make quite a few households shudder.
It used to be the prerogative of the young.
Now you could be any age, expanding your qualifications to change careers.
Immediately the word exam is uttered, a rise in tension takes place.
“Have you done your homework? Have you? You will regret it if you haven’t.”
Have I done enough study and preparation?
Cries of, “I should have stayed in more often, nose to the grindstone. Too late now.”
The thirst for knowledge, the need for great grades to stand out somehow from the crowd.
So many we know have no job now. It used to be said, working for the government or council was a job for life.
No longer true, other opportunities are working their way through, it is said.
New technology is providing new career pathways.
Not fast enough for me, I need work now to pay the bills.
Part-time work, while studying and sitting exams, is what is ahead of me.
I am determined, I have to be, all my family’s future rests on me.
It may not be the career I would have chosen, just one not capable of being taken over by a robot.
EXAMS, EXAMS, EXAMS, BRING THEM ON.
©️2026 Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen
Image by Pexels

No comments:
Post a Comment