Dec 8, 2023

THE CHRISTMAS TREE




 


Each year we climb into the loft to gently carry your boxed branches down, then, with a bit of a push and shove, we expand your limbs for us, with love and thought, to carefully colourfully dress with tinsel and baubles dangling.

You may not know it but there are two very powerful feelings I have, over the years, to you connected.

One is the excitement and anticipation of the year's most happy Christian family celebration and welcome.

Two is the sadness at seeing my family leave, combined with the nostalgia of undressing you and storing you away again.

Each year wherever I have been I have brought back a new decoration.

Each bauble has its own story and memory to touch me, as I unravel your connections leaving you naked and bare.

Then, with a sad ceremony, up into the loft, we struggle to place you safely for another year.

In silence I return to the room where you had been standing, it now looks sad and strangely empty, as we have become used to you being there.



© 2023 Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen

Photo: Pixabay License

No comments:

Post a Comment