Jul 27, 2023

FAIRY CROSS COINCIDENCE




 


When walking home late one evening, a fairy rushed past, before returning to look at me and asked, “Are you a reader?”

I said “Yes.” I was startled, what is a fairy doing here? However, I believe in fairies, don’t you?

“Do you have a book in your pocket?” she asked anxiously, glancing behind her from time to time.

“As a matter of fact I do!” I replied.

“Have you read it?”

“Yes, I have, several times I know it by heart.” She glanced back again looking anxious.

“May I have it please?”

I looked at her in amazement, “Whatever for!” I asked.

“It is a surprise and would be my good deed for the day. I have not managed to complete a good deed for today and I have to. The Fairy Queen will be very upset if I don’t. I have to place a book at the Fairy Cross bus stop before morning, otherwise, the good deed won’t work.” 

She looked at me so appealingly, that I agreed against my better judgement, as it was the first book I had ever written. Though I had several saved copies, I had not released them for publishing yet.

The Fairy was so pleased and clasped the book in her arms before flying off, calling back her thanks to me.

In the morning the book was picked up at Fairy Cross bus stop, by a passenger and taken on the bus. He worked for a publishing house. He could not stop reading the book and showed it to his boss in the office.

Later that day I received a phone call from the publisher, asking if I was the author of the book called “Coincidence.” I admitted I was! He said,  "This book came into my hands by coincidence, at the bus stop at Fairy Cross in Devon and we would very much like to publish it, it is a great read! Would you be interested?”

I was flabbergasted that the fairy’s good deed was responsible for all this. Taking a deep breath I said, “Yes, thank you, that would be wonderful and I would be delighted to discuss details at a time of your convenience.”

When I put the phone down, I called out in glee to the family and related the absolute coincidence that happened to me and my book “Coincidence.”

Always help a fairy in distress when asked to, as they often quietly help us.



2023 © Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen

Photo: Pixabay License

No comments:

Post a Comment