Apr 3, 2023

LATE NIGHT




 


LATE NIGHT


The day ended; the work did not.

I have to put in all the hours I can to save this shop.

A family business for generations it has been; I cannot let it go.

The next generation is about to be born here.

The wife is upstairs in bed with her sister attending; doctor is on his way.

It should be me, but the orders awaiting delivery cannot wait, or the business will fail.

A hope was extended with this order of more items of greater value, if this one was delivered on time.

So I gather myself to work even faster, with ears waiting for the first newborn cry.

Then it will be worth it: the sacrifices of my wife and me.

Hours past I longed to be by my wife's side, yet I dared not.

The cry my ears longed to hear burst loudly into life; then came the news. 

You have a son; love from your wife.

Two more parcels to go, then I can head upstairs.

With the knowledge the future for a while will be secured, with a new partner, my son, and a substantial customer with new business flowing our way. 

This business will not finally close today.



2023 © Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen

Photo: Pixabay License

No comments:

Post a Comment