Jan 3, 2022

THE ELEPHANT




 


The first elephant I ever saw was made of wood.

It stood firmly on a splendid wooden plinth. Carved as though walking with one foot and trunk raised.

As a child, I could hug and pat it’s beautifully carved shiny back. Though firmly instructed not to try to lift it.

I tried once but it was far too heavy for me, as in it’s raised trunk, it carries a light and lump shade which bathes the room in a comfortable glow.

From the first sight, I needed to know! What is it?

More questions flowed where does it live? 

What does it eat? Is it scary? Does it bite?

So began my first feelings for Africa and her amazing people animals, fauna and crafts. It has taken me to her shores for amazing but short visits.

The elephant, that started my quest, has been handed down by the family. It now rests and comforts me, as I read bathed in it’s light.

Remember the gatherings both here and in Africa with delight.

I never fail to give the elephant a pat, increasing the patina on it’s back, when I switch off the light for the night, taking the feelings of Africa with me.



© 2022 Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen 

Photo: Pixabay License

No comments:

Post a Comment