Jan 29, 2021

FICTION vs NONFICTION




My mind was drawn to the subject of writing today, fiction or nonfiction, which do you prefer writing or reading? I thoroughly enjoy both for very different reasons. 

Fiction gives me the freedom to use my imagination to create places, and characters showing them sometimes in the smallest details, how I want them to live, and when. I am also able to change with a flourish of my pen storylines if a new one appears, demanding a place in my story. Do I accept the challenge and rewrite a whole chapter, or banish it to be resurrected in another story. The choice is delightfully mine! I can be wicked, cheeky, caring, sharing, horrid, loving, opinionated, helpful, loyal, all at the stroke of a pen or a key.

Nonfiction is quite another kettle of fish, this deals with real life, mine or some else’s, known and shared with me, with their permission. Others requested a family member on the death of their loved one. This is sticking to the facts of the story. To seek and develop the hidden character, to tease the humour, to test sensitivity, to assist the subject to have an interesting story at the end.

Serious nonfiction requires hours of research, as you do not have the characters this work is about to tell you. You have legal guidelines to follow strictly. Yet it carries the excitement of the need to show others, what life was once like.

The times we are living through now, allow us great scope to use either, the choice is ours. Exercise your fingers and let’s go.

Take care, stay safe and be kind when you can to others.



© 2021 Penny Wobbly of WobblingPen

Photo: Pixabay License

No comments:

Post a Comment